Design and Technology
- To follow the progression of the National Curriculum for DT through the Kapow curriculum
- To allow children to develop skills and understanding of techniques, and to put them into real life contexts.
- Give children a strong understanding of the importance of following instructions to be safe.
- For adults to make links when developing DT skills, to real life, and for children to understand the importance and relevance of these life skills.
- For children to see the bigger picture that links DT to science, technology, food, engineering, architecture, maths through teachers exploring and exploiting cross curricular links through the Big Ideas topics.
- To support children to understand the uses and implications of design and food technology, today and in the future.
- To nurture independence and encourage children to ask questions about the world they live in.
- Following the Kapow Curriculum teachers plan lessons which carefully plan for progression and depth
- Teaching and learning should plan for practical opportunities within DT themed big ideas.
- Children gain skills in safe use of tools though progressive planning of Forest school curriculum
- Additional support in place for SEN and disadvantaged pupils to enable them to access the curriculum at the appropriate level.
- Children have opportunities to reflect on previous learning, build on prior knowledge and link ideas together
- Big Ideas topics create opportunities for cross-curricular learning.
- Specialist vocabulary is taught and built upon and effective questioning to communicate ideas is encouraged.
- Children will develop skills with tools and have opportunities to put them in real life contexts
- Children will be able to question ideas, draw on experience and reflect on knowledge.
- Pupils will make links across various curriculum areas and use their knowledge and skills to enhance work in other areas and solve real life problems independently
- Children talk positively about their learning in DT.
Please find below the Kapow progression guide and D&T vocabulary: